saritdanayahalomi

Sarit

The Charge by Sharon Bayliss Review

Summery:

When the King of the Texas Empire kidnaps Warren's brother, Warren embarks into a still Wild West to save him. On his journey, he makes a discovery that changes his life forever—he and his brother are long-lost members of the Texas royal family and the King wants them both dead. He gets help from an activist Texan named Lena, who's itching to take on the King and happens to be a beautiful firecracker Warren can't stay away from. Convincing her he's not one of the bad guys becomes harder when a mysterious energy stirs in his body, turning his brain into a hive of emotions and memories—not all his own. A legacy of violence is not all he inherited from the brutal Kings of Texas. The myth that the royal family possesses supernatural powers may not be myth at all.

My review:

5 of 5 stars

Read from March 15 to April 02, 2013

An alternate history of the U.S. and Texas with a few characters that have paranormal elements because of their blood. In this book, Texas and the U.S. don't like each other. The U.S. bombed Texas to kill off its ruthless King and all others that share his blood...but after almost 2 decades, a new King materializes and rumors of war begin to escalate. Will another ruthless dictator take over Texas, or will the Wild West finally take steps towards democracy?

There is a legacy of violence from the brutal Kings of Texas.

There is also a myth that the royal family possesses supernatural powers may not be myth at all.With the sizzling blue blood of the Texas dynasty, there is a lot at stake, and a lot of people who will do anything--including murder--to stack the cards one way or the other in this political maelstrom.

Warren returns from college because the King of Texas has kidnapped Isaac, his quirky genius brother. When Warren King’s brother is kidnapped, he learns that he’s a descendent of the Texan royal family, and that puts his life in danger. Warren disregards his Mom's suggestion to run off to Canada for safety and heads into Texas to look for answers. He's always been the one to take care of their family..

On his journey, he makes a discovery that changes his life forever.Everything he knew was based on lies and he's role in current events may be much more than anything he ever dreamed for himself. All Warren wanted was to have a normal life- to go to college, date, find someone to love, get married, land a good job and live with his family. Just a normal, boring life with no major complications. But this dream not valid anymore - he and his brother are long-lost members of the Texas royal family and the King wants them both dead.

Then along comes Lena, a Texan activist itching to take on the King and a beautiful firecracker Warren can't stay away from. Convincing her he's not one of the bad guys becomes harder when a mysterious energy stirs in his body, turning his brain into a hive of emotions and memories—not all his own.

Gone are the days when choosing a major was a big deal. Now Warren must save his brother and choose whether or not to be King, follow a King, or die before he can retire his fake ID.

The Charge, just like the lightening on the front cover, this book runs its course with a unrelenting fury until it reaches the final destination. I has a very well developed cast, a large talent for the written word, and a great flair of speculative fiction. It was very enjoyable and refreshing book, which kept me engaged at every turn.(I Read this book in two days). This book is fast paced, with lots of mystery and suspense, surprising turnings and sizzling energy. I found the alternate tweaked history setting intriguing. It is an impressive tale of a Texas Empire against the United States. There’s along-standing hostility between Texas and the United States, always strained and never predictable. Add to it a rumored supernatural powers passed down through the Kings of Texas and you got fire lights. The characters, all complicated and busy with their own agendas, are connected in ways they can’t understand, and they each have a much larger role to play. Every character has a flaw or two, and many make you wonder wtf going on? I also enjoy this kind of fiction that use science and especially biology which use ideas of genetics.

I am sure looking forward to the next book! I'm told that it's in the works as we speak. A well done debut, Sharon Bayliss! I enjoyed reading this story and I'll be in line for the next.

So hurry up what you R waiting for???

Full review - http://sarityahalomi.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-charge-by-sharon-bayliss-review.html